Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Surgery and Relief

Today was my day to play caretaker.

This morning I got in the car at 9:20 AM with my mom and drove her to have a wisdom tooth removed (long story short: impacted, left in, now rotting), so I was anticipating having to take care of her all day. While she was in surgery, I drove around Santa Cruz, filmed a video, and bought some lovely books to kickstart my personal reading for college, once I move. The surgery took less time than expected and I was called by the receptionist to come pick up my mother and so they could give me some care instructions since my mom was pretty out of it. We got home, I got her situated on the couch and got her a smoothie to drink (because according to the pre-surgery instructions she hadn't been allowed to eat anything for the past 11 hours). Everything was going fine, aside from her occasionally wanting to get up and do something for herself, which was not a good idea at the time.

Then, I got a call from the high school saying my sister was feeling sick and needed to be taken home. Wonderful. So I went and got her while Mom stayed on the couch, and when I came back with my sister, I made them each a cup of tea. The rest of the day I ran errands for both of them and made sure they were feeling okay. My sister is good to go back to school tomorrow, but my mom is going to need care for the rest of the week, especially to make sure she takes the medicine they gave her in the right amounts (she'd forgotten that I already gave her medicine earlier today).

Also, I've been talking more to my roommate, and everything's been fine, and I got all worked up over nothing. I need to learn to trust that people won't judge so harshly based on a brief first impression.

Days until I leave: 11
Books I've read this summer: 17

No comments:

Post a Comment