Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Survey stolen from hayleyghoover

I just spent the past hour filling out this survey. I didn't really have anything else to do.



1. What author do you own the most books by?

Lemony Snicket (all 13 in A Series of Unfortunate Events). Second place goes to Roald Dahl (12), and then J.K. Rowling (10). I also have 10 by Carolyn Keane (author of Nancy Drew) but that became a penname for many different people writing the series(es). And if graphic novels count, I actually have 21 by Rumiko Takahashi (InuYasha). [I also just realized that my sister and I have 43 American Girl books, but I don’t think any one single person writes all of those]


2. What book do you own the most copies of?

I have three copies of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, but one of them is in Spanish.


3. Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?

No, I never really got too grammatically intense with prepositions.


4. What fictional character are you secretly in love with?

Haruka Tenoh (aka Sailor Uranus). Although, that’s not much of a secret.


5. What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children; i.e., Goodnight Moon does not count)?

I’ve read the first four in the Harry Potter series at least 20 times each, so I’m going to go with those. I started reading the series right after Goblet of Fire came out, and I’m the type of person that has to read a series in order from beginning to end every time I read it. So in the three years between GoF and OotP, I read those first four a lot. Funny enough, the last three are my favorites.


6. What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?

The Harry Potter series, as it existed at that time.


7. What is the worst book you've read in the past year?

I’m torn between Heart of Darkness and Sorrow of War. It’s not that they were bad books, it’s just that they were nearly impossible to get through, and I was being forced to read them.


8. What is the best book you've read in the past year?

That is very difficult to determine because I have read a lot of good books this year, particularly this summer. I just finished reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, which was excellent, so that stands out to me a lot right now.


9. If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?

1984. Or The Stranger, I liked that book too.


10. What book would you most like to see made into a movie?

At the moment, I’m saying Paper Towns, although that’s pretty much because I know John Green is working on the screenplay, and I am the very image of Margo Roth Spiegelman as she is described in the book.


11. What book would you least like to see made into a movie?

I don’t know. I see every book I read as a movie in my head, especially if I’m a good type for one of the characters. And I’m always too optimistic about Hollywood producers not murdering a book in its movie before I actually see the movie.


12. Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.

One time I had a dream that I was Harry Potter, but I went to my school (Elementary at the time), and I was running for some school representative position at the time. And then Ron and I went back to our dormitory and started undressing, but instead of genitals, there were big black ovals in front of our crotches with a number on them (mine was 23). And Hermione walked in at some point, I think.


13. What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?

Probably, the Twilight series. I liked them, but it wasn’t the best writing I’ve ever read.


14. What is the most difficult book you've ever read?

The Scarlet Letter, hands down.


15. What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?

I’m not sure what you mean by “obscure,” but if I’m interpreting it correctly, then I’d say As You Like It, or All’s Well That Ends Well. A Winter’s Tale was pretty obscure too. Conversely, the most overdone Shakespeare play I’ve seen live was Romeo and Juliet, but that was done really well, so it was worth seeing.


16. Do you prefer the French or the Russians?

That’s difficult. What if I chose my favorite one of each? Albert Camus and Anton Chekhov. Ha!


17. Roth or Updike?

Sadly, I’ve never heard of wither of them…


18. David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?

I’ve never read either of them, and I haven’t heard of Dave Eggers, but I keep meaning to read David Sedaris. My parents have at least five of his books.


19. Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?

Shakespeare. I have been in love with Shakespeare almost as long as I have been in love with Harry Potter


20. Austen or Eliot?

I don’t think I’ve read anything from either of them, but I’ve heard more about Austen


21. What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?

All the authors mentioned above that I hadn’t heard of or read.


22. What is your favorite novel?

I like so many books, it’s hard to pick!


23. Play?

Classical: Twelfth Night because it was my introduction to Shakespeare, and I got to be Viola, and it involves cross-dressing and love-triangles, which I love.

Contemporary: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead because I love me some existentialism and absurdism. I also got to co-direct it Junior year. I also realize that it was taken from Hamlet, which is another Shakespeare play I like. Second favorite is Endgame, for the existential absurdistness!


24. Poem?

I really like Phenomenal Women by Maya Angelou, and The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.


25. Essay?

I don’t really read essays apart from peer edits, although my English teacher last year did give us an essay to read about the importance of shitty first drafts. That was a life-changing essay.


26. Work of nonfiction?

The Diary of Anne Frank.


27. Who is your favorite writer?

J.K. Rowling, definitely. I’ve also become a big fan of John Green. And, of course, Shakespeare.


28. Who is the most overrated writer alive today?

I’m gonna have to agree with Hayley on this one…


29. What is your desert island book?

That is an impossible question. Twelfth Night so I can perform it with myself on the island.


30. And... what are you reading right now?

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

No comments:

Post a Comment